Sunday, February 8, 2009

Thaipusam@Batu Caves!!! Part 1

Reached INTI at 5:05am last nite. Slept at 5.30am until 12pm today.


Ehem! To get bonus marks for our WOrld Religion, we can choose to go experience a festival, take a photo of the place WITH YOU IN IT, write a one-page report/reflection, and substitute it for one of our tests (in case anythign goes wrong or u're too lazy to take it). So lucky that IHRB (Inti Halls of Residence Board) organized a free of charge trip to Batu Caves yesterday evening. Departed from INTI at 7.30pm.


I went with Anna, Hae Ju and my roommate Suk Sien. Suk Sien is not taking World Religion, so why did she want to go?


Me: Hey I'm going to Batu Caves tomorrow nite~SS: WOW SO COOL MAN SO COOL~ I WANNA GO TOO~ I'm so bored here- no classes on tuesday so its going to be 4 days stuck here


[Everyone, although SS is superhumanly hardworking she is very human.]


Photos...thanks to Jia Lerd for lending us her camera!!



Sighting of the beautiful Golden Murugan Statue from afar--


Group photo...Senior Zheng Xiang, me, Anna, Seniors Zaim and Jia Min, Hae Ju.. (we were the only non-Hindus besides one girl from China who wanted to experience Thaipusam...:D)

We were standing in the middle of the road and definitely blocking the way


Shaving...even the baby is being shaved. Our 'guide' told us is a ceremony where the follower sacrifices his hair, throw it into the river (somewhere near here) so the gods will solve his problems...



The ppl-thronged gateway leading to the caves...



Procession. Women (or men) dressed in yellow holding silver jugs of cow's milk on their heads



The Kavadi...with the picture of a god...and peacock feathers




See how many people are climbing and waiting to climb the 272 steps? Looks like China's not the only place where ppl crowd to climb up steps..WOW..


A deity with flower wreath. I haven't found out who is he/she.



Beautiful undestroyed Limestone walls. I get indescribably happy when I see ferns and foliage growing out of the limestone walls.

And I FELL IN LOVE WITH STALACTITES *_*



This is Lord Murugan, with his wife/consort on his left and son on his right.



A group of followers with a cute toddler =D



A safe place for shoes O.O


Interior of the temple. Temples were full of ppl so we never got to go inside.


That's baby Lord Murugan with his father Shiva.



Breaking coconuts


Breaking more coconuts. Our guide said one must break it exactly into half so that our prayers come true.



Devotees praying at the temple



Young men posing---





Our 'guide' (the Indian guy in white, inti student) explaning =)

...more photos in previous post

2 comments:

Hazuki said...

I wish we have assignments like this =/ then i'll get to take pics muahaha i'm afraid i'm more interested in taking pics than understanding the religion itself XD

mei hua said...

ahahaha! my friend thought we had to be in every picture we took so she kept on posing and posing LOL!

lucky i was not the cameraman, or else i wouldn't be able to enjoy it as much... it's difficult to understand the religion unless u have a Hindu guide (which we had until we got separated) :)