Where did I stop last time? I remember I had something I wanted to write about for Day 1 or 2 but I can't recall it now. Anyways it's 12.16am Saturday here now :)
Monday: Day 2 of Skiing
Rung and I went with Aunty Ming up the Prospector's lift from Discovery Park. She was going to go down an easy slope/path she took yesterday (Intl coding for ski slopes: green=easy; blue=intermediate; black=expert). The Prospector's lift took us up to a hill - it was really pretty! There were only 2 ways to get down from the hill - Jack Kendrick and Village Way, and both were green. Aunty Ming said Village Way, so we went with her, and boy! The slope was STEEP! Pretty scary =A= but we had no other way of going down. There was a family of skiers who went down one by one. Aunty Ming told us to look at how they turned as a way of going down the slope slowly. Aunty Ming went down, and I decided to follow her because i felt it would be easier following somebody than trying to go down on my own. So we managed to reach down that one slope safely, and waited for Rung who had to "gather her courage" and after some time she came down too, safely. Then we continued on Village Way, there were curves and a tunnel, and forks. Followed Aunty Ming, trying my best to turn, but still going pretty fast. I was not wearing glasses (cannot fit under ski goggles) so I couldnt read the signs (and I was probably going too fast to read signs anyway). I wanted to stop at a fork and wait for them, so I decided to head towards the right side of a fork divided by bunch of trees, and make a turnaround to come to a stop near those trees .....but ALAS tak sempat turnaround/ turnaround not sharp enough and I was going to crash into the trees and I turned my body to crash sideways/backwards into the trees rather than face front! LUCKILY I WAS WEARING MY HELMET AND MANY LAYERS OF CLOTHING AND THICK WINTER JACKET SO THANK GOD I WAS NOT INJURED. I decided to let myself rest from the impact...and then attempted to get myself out of the mess. Unfortunately the area around the trees tend to be inclining downwards so it was pretty much impossible to ski away from them - I'd have to take off your skis and walk to more even ground in my ski boots, and put on my skis again. Well I was spared the trouble of taking my skis off (it can be difficult to take them off if you're not on them) because the crash took them off. But here comes the challenge - how do I put on my skis without sliding backwards down towards the trees again! Either that or put the skis on on the real slope where my skis could easily slide forwards before I put them on......
Another teenage boy was also having trouble putting on skis. He asked me to help, so I helped him, and we got his skis on, then he said thanks, and off he went down the slopes without helping me >.< So I was standing there, resting, thinking about what to do next. Some other people were also standing nearby, resting? on their skis. I think I saw Rung a little behind me at that point - she probably fell too. I decided to tell a nearby skier that I crashed into trees just now, and get help with putting my skis on. The guy was very helpful - he helped me with my skis and I finally got them on! Then I followed him down Village Way, but then I went too fast, ahead of him, and I wanted to turn to stop, at another fork (two paths diverged - one was lower level, one was higher; the two trails were divided by a flexible orange mesh fence) but then AGAIN TAK SEMPAT TURNAROUND and I fell halfway through the orange mesh fence, basically hanging on for dear life to the higher road and trying not to slide down to the lower trail and crash into other people >_< Saw Rung pass ahead of me and also almost/or did fall(?) the same way I did but less severely. The man who was helping me got a phone call (basically his friend was waiting for him at the bottom of the hill), and when he saw that Rung was my friend he said to her that he thinks I need a ski patrol (basically call a staffperson to take me down the hill). Rung asked him how far it was to the bottom, and he said it was some distance to the bottom. I thought that calling ski patrol would be wise, seeing that I kept falling in such pathetic ways and in case I was injured in some place I didn't realize. So I let them carry on the conversation and call ski patrol while I took off my skis (it was difficult! >.<), clambered up to safe ground, ate my emergency food (bagel with peaunt butter) to gain some energy, and let my body rest+ nerves calm down. The man went ahead, and ski patrol came (thanks Rung for calling and waiting) - it was a guy in red. He asked me whether I was hurt, I said I don't think so, just nervous. Rung asked him how far it was to Discovery Park, and he said it's just right there. So we cheered up, and let him lead us to Discovery Park, safe, safe ground. Then we went down Discovery Park (I fell again >.<, not sure why, it was a really gentle slope, in the region under the Discovery chair lift) Some people on the Discovery chair lift called out to me to take my skis off, and I shouted back I lost my poles (they were uphill), and they shouted back "Use your hands", and I tried, but it was difficult (>.< tangan saya no strength >.<) I can't remember whether i succeeded or not, but another ski patrol guy came and helped me up and returned me my poles (Yay, thanks!). And we went down Turnpike (I probably fell again - can't remember exactly) and went to have lunch at the Black Building next to the Blue Building (I don't know the names of the building, but the black buidling had a cafeteria on the 3rd floor) We met up with Anthony on the 2nd floor dining area (with microwave ovens!), Alvin came a bit later, Aunty Ming even later. We ate our "packed lunch" (chicken stored in the bathtub with icecubes in plastic bags lol). Rung told me to enjoy my lunch, but I told her i need to space out to calm down my nerves, so I ate staring into space and not talking. Asked Alvin who went to buy coffee from the 3rd floor to help me get a banana ($1.50 for 1 banana! super expensive..I knew it would be but still I wanted that banana :P).
and it is 2.09am now (i was doing other things (official things like emailing professor lar :P) between 12am and 1am) and I gotta wake up at 8am to skype with my Wang family so TBC.... =P
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment