Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Year in Review: 2012

Realized that we all stopped writing blogs. Too busy, and that FB has taken the place of updating people on our lives.

I was reading an old classmate's blog last night - it was very interesting to know someone through their revelation of  themselves and have a look into their lives. I also read some of my own previous blog entries to see if I have changed. Doesn't seem like my writing style has changed that much - still as haphazard as ever. I still struggle with procrastination and many of the same issues I had written about. Most interesting though was to read what I had forgotten what I had written. Some New Year Resolutions for example, haha.

So, inspiredto have a proper "farewell" or "suspension" or "freezing" or "temporarily on hiatus" post for the top of this blog. For that, today is the last day of 2012, perfect excuse for a reflective discourse on one's life.

Right now I'm in UK visiting my brother. Been here for about 2 weeks now. :) 

Here we go. A review of my year, picking out one most significant thing per month:

1. January 2012 
(For this FB timeline is very helpful indeed)
The start of winter quarter. I had just returned from winter break in Malaysia, and I didn't want to return to NU, because that's where many responsibilities were awaiting me. I was very reluctant to face them. Procrastination and stress was in full force.

The most significant thing I would say was Chinese New Year :)
As president of Cilipadi I was of course stressing out over how are we gonna get ourselves to Penang (a Malaysian restaurant), getting geram by people who fang4 fei1 ji1 at the last minute, not least because I forgone going to Stuart (my research advisor)'s house for dinner in order to have the most people be able to attend CNY dinner. Thanks a lot to the Cili members who were a wonderful help, to Suet and Chyuan who drove us. Having a hangout at Hotel Noyes after dinner was really nice too, and yes, that was when we found out Jeffrey was incredible at the guitar.

Significant person: Jeffrey! He was an exchange student - Indonesian, but studying in Singapore (NUS) for a while. He was to become a very important friend for the next few months. He was the first person at NU that shared so many common interests and that I could casually text and invite out to events, go to church, lepaking/talking, music, performing together (found a niche/something that no other performance groups could do - Malay/Indonesian songs :D ).  

2. February 2012
I want to say that February was characterized by lots of late nights and full days grappling with R (a stats software), dozing off at CBG (Chicago Botanic Garden, where i do my research), doing Global History readings, feeling like I was always busy that eating and showering seemed like a waste of time, running here and there, making phone calls to bedbug extermination companies, writing emails furiously, and dealing (not very well) with some housemate drama issues.  

What's really encouraging was that I got my first research grant ever! Thanks a lot to Stuart :) I also thank pami for being the greatest support and encouragement during this rather tough time. 

Significant person: Jeannie (Malaysian senior) moved into our apartment, and she brought a lot of spark and thought-provoking conversations when I often dreaded going back to my apartment. Jeannie's very interesting in her rather unique outtake on life - disinterest in socializing/going out while being super talkative and having strong opinions, super dedication to studying.. oh yes i love her cooking makes me feel like home :)

3. March 2012
Spring Break was the most amazing feeling I had - release from the stress of the hectic quarter and getting a break away from my housemate who I was having trouble dealing with. First half of the week I was in Seattle, had a wonderful time with Yih En :) 2nd half of the week I went to Cincinatti with Karen and Josh (MS students in my lab group) for my first conference - Midwest Ecology & Evolution (MEEC) and my first poster presentation! It was a really fun time.

SEA Night and Women's Chorus Concert (just part of another choir's concert) at Alice Millar Chapel - I really do love performing. Thanks to Jeffrey, I got to perform three times - SEA Night, Treblemakers Open Mic Night, and AISEC Global Village. :)

Significant person: Josh. a 2nd year MS student in my lab group. I'm very thankful for Josh - though he/other members of my lab group . I get rides from him to CBG - so we'd have very interesting conversations (often about food, politics, and whatnot) in the car :D He is also super helpful and really kind, despite being cynical/opinionated on the outside.

4. April 2012
Being awarded a research scholarship and the summer undergraduate research grant - it was incredible - i was pretty terrified.

Significant person: April. My best study buddy. We started studdying together in Bio in our sophomore year, found that we studied together really well, so we continued studying together, and suffered through the same classes. She's usually on the receiving end on my rants on my hectic schedule. Sadly graduated early T.T

5. May 2012
This was such an eventful and generally happy month, I think, not least because the weather was good :) taking classes that I was interested in (ie Plant Biology <3 chris="chris" p="p" russin="russin" with="with">Performing at the Milennium Park (with the Women's Chorus, singing the part of Children's Chorus with a big choir and the orchestra) - that was just really really amazing.
 
Significant person: Will Weber and MEIV. I thank Will and Haley and MEIV people who have been kind to me and been my support this past year and my time at NU. Although I didn't go much to Small Group and never to Large Group. They never stopped reaching out to me. I'm glad for that :)

Because I couldn't find a suitable space, I want to give a shoutout to Sheil - Sheil Catholic Center. I became more involved at Sheil and got to know a number of ppl at sheil better, primarily through being a sacristan, and then unexpectedly, through bible study with Fr. John. Tom (a sophomore but veteran sacristan) was the first student at Sheil that I really connected with (Sheil Lent Buddy!). Fr. John is a fascinating person. Tim Higgins (campus minister) has always been there for me - sorry i always subject him to rants about my busy life; Beth (campus minister) - recently another confidante. Mary Deeley, Angela, Wioletta.....I'm never gonna finish but Sheil has been my second home (apart from Tech)....

6. June 2012
Significant person: My housemate Rung. Finally told my housemate Rung how I felt the past few months about our relationship. She took it really well which surprised me. Although the selling furniture/moving out was quite a messy process and I still didn't do a good job of speaking out. The last week was certainly crazy. Rung, this wonderful person who, with all her faults, is a irreplaceable friend and part of my life at NU,   . She has taught me a lot - hardwork, discipline, joy in life, enthusiasm, passion, Thai food (yes), introduced me to many people at Northwestern, BodyPump... She will undoubtedly go on to inspire people and make waves in other people's lives wherever she goes. :)

Time of farewells. Very glad that I spent my last few days in Evanston with people that I wanted to spend it with. All the important people. Took the pictures I wanted to take. Said (most) of the things I wanted to say, in person or in letter.

7. July 2012 and 8. Aug 2012
The entirety of 2 months in Minnesota.
Field research was my life. It was really great to live and work and play with Team Echinacea :)

Significant person: Katherine. Another MS student in my lab group. We were roommates last summer. This summer we are the oldest/experienced persons in Team Echinacea. She is someone I confide to about many things...and the same for me.

9. Sept 2012
Took the GRE.
Eco-Summit. Columbus.
Sheil Catholic Scholars.
I do feel like a senior now and act like one ;) esp with Sue Ann, our precious transfer student.

Significant person: Eden. Thank you for the companionship, hospitality, and your brothers & sisters for the spiritual fellowship :).

10. Oct 2012
PBC (Plant Biology and Conservation). Anime Club.
I'm a happy person because I'm taking classes in topics that I'm interested in :D
And I guess I've been going to anime club and the after-parties more frequently. Partly coz now I don't have to worry about somebody waiting for me at the apartment/or the fear of being judged for staying out late hours not for the purpose of studying. At the same time I felt that this quarter i was deprived of deeper conversations and interactions with people, since almost all my closest friends had all graduated in June. Also found myself making conscious decisions about who and which group i wanted to spend time with, who I wanted to get to know better.

Significant person: Monica. I had known her since first quarter of freshman year (freshman seminar ftw), and we'vve somewhat kept in contact (bio major classes in soph year, women's chorus in junior year, anime club senior year) over the years. We started having weekly study dates, and hung out a few times to do fun stuff/or nothing. I also confided in her how I felt that i was only interacting with ppl on the surface....and that I 'm glad to have somewhat deeper conversations with her (?)

11. Nov 2012
Sheil Fall Retreat.
Thanksgiving.
Cilipadi potluck.
Started workign at SPAC Membership Office.

Significant person: Theresa. MS student in Zerega lab group (oh yeah I decided to work with another prof for my MS thesis project - Nyree - and work on cempedak :D I still have the senior thesis to work on with Stuart though). and all the graduate students in my cohort at PBC. I really like my classmates in my cohort. Fun, friendly people. We suffered together with the heavy coursework. Theresa gave me a number of rides and is very kind and unselfish. Also thanks a lot to Nyree and all the trouble with my BS/MS applications >_<

12. Dec 2012
Leeds and England. Now that it's my last few days before i leave...... I'm starting to feel that the surreality.... It has been a wonderful vacation.
Significant person: Is kinda obvious. Haha. There's another less obvious choice, that's for me to know, and for you to find out. 

----------------------
Junior year and the start of senior year has been simultaneously my worst and best year at Northwestern. I decided to become more involved and active in activities, because I regretted not doing alot of things in my sophomore year. I think it's because I invested my energy and heart into things.....that I'm reaping the fruit of my labor....never could've done it without the help of many wonderful people along the way. When previously I couldn't say that I love Northwestern, now I can say I love Northwestern. I learnt many things about myself. Became close to people I didn't expect to become close to. Did and experienced many things that I never thought I would.
----------------------

2013... I see this number alot because this is my graduating class year. I'll be graduating in June - rather hard to believe it's so soon. What is my resolution? I want to say the biggest issue I've been struggling like crazy with these past few months has been procrastination.

I resolve to do the things I have to do and have set out to do without irrational fear. I will not be lazy.


-----------
Lastly, again i apologize for poor writing coz i'm in a hurry and need to get going on those things I've procrastinated on since break started. :P

Good luck to you. May 2013 bring you good health and keep you safe. God bless.

No comments: