I need to clarify my thoughts so that I can more effectively communicate what I want to communicate.
ASB continued.
Let me explain some common ASB jargon which may be essential to the stories.
ASB= Alternative Student Break. An NU student group which organizes 1-week-long service-learning trips to various places in USA or outside USA during winter break or spring break. Branch of Alternative Spring Break (please google this yourselves if u'd like to know more =P)
High, Low, Ha's = An icebreaker(?) or a cool method to get people discussing about their thoughts or feelings about their day or week or whatever. During HLHs everyone gets a turn to report the high point, low point and a funny/funniest moment of their day.
Life Stories = Story about your life. Everyone gets a turn to talk about whatever they want to share about their lives. Think your life is boring and too ordinary to share? You are SO SO WRONG. Everyone has a unique life story that has made us what we are today. Sometimes it will turn into a race of who has the most miserable life. But who wants to do that? Nobody will be happy by comparing misfortune [side note: refer to one of the later volumes of Fruits Basket, if you know what i mean].
~~~
I really hope I can continue keeping in touch with some of the ASB ppl.
I won't be shy about playing favorites. Because I don't have the capacity to keep in touch with everybody, so I have to be selective.
Shalini. Hope to talk more with her. She's one of those people who are strikingly honest and outspoken about what they think and what they feel. Reminds me abit of Hui San (=]) It's amazing how she still remains so despite coming from India to America to this competition-driven community at NU. I feel protective of her because she is vulnerable to getting hurt by putting herself out there, by (stupid) people who don't appreciate her honesty. Also vulnerable to be bullied by the likes of Xin Kai =.=||| [you may refer to Gerard] But she is not a dumb girl - she's very smart and she thinks deeply about things. A 100% Hindu and 50% Christian, if you think it's possible. I want to continue connecting with her.
Xin Kai. A Singaporean guy. 23 year old sophomore/junior because of National Service. At first he was acting cool and mysterious, stand-offish, not really joining anything (you know lah what i mean =.=|||) . And being secretive and never answering questions straightforwardly (you know you've seen it before - or (horrors!) u r one of them who enjoy driving ppl crazy by doing that =.=|||) either by giving vague answers or ask a question back or etc. And his facial reactions are so funny because they are unexpected and somewhat prolonged or just funny. When we started working on the painting (me, Jenny, Adrienne, Harrison, and Xin Kai were in a group), the "curi tulang, trying to avoid getting wet, like to sit down every now and then" behavioral pattern emerged (=.=|||) and I declared that this was reminding me of the annoying ways of my brothers orz. I hadn't been 'working' with my bros for quite some time (actually when did i ever work with you guys? dishwashing? church?) so I had almost forgotten this.......... The next level was Smooth Sweet-Talking. This one you also should know lah. You know lah, those rou ma lines and rou ma responses guys from our region like to use.
And for some Strange Inexplicable Reason several girls on the trip started getting attracted to him OMG. He was featured in so many of our reported "ha"s during the week. Actually I myself was interested for the first two days because i was trying to figure out which species he was, and i finally reached a conclusion when he started slacking off =.= Don't think too much lah readers, I think pretty much EVERYONE incld the Guys on the trip was interested in X-Man Sandwich). But beware. This is America. American girls can be scary gyahahahaha! I even felt pity for him when he was getting *xxx*-ed by the girls (i thought i saw some serious xxxxxxxxx aura coming from xxxxxxxx at least 2 times, which took me by surprise, but i guess it was just my imagination lol)
PLEASE NOTE THAT everyone was just playing along in humor and i doubt any of it was serious. To preserve poor XK's reputation lol. And sorry XK i was getting annoyed by why everyone is so interested in him that i tried to kick reality in, saying that this is typical of Singaporeans (and Malaysians) - which is true, actually ^^;;
But I just want to say that he is actually a very unique {very unique is apparently incorrect English} person. His life story was not out of the world, simple, and yet it was so interesting and one-and-only. It's hard to explain this, but even though his story may be a typical life story of a typical Singaporean male, just hearing the story of his life come out from his mouth, made it so real & yet even less approachable, and it just made all the various aspects of his personality and what we knew about him coalesce, come together to form the person whom we see today.
Lisa. I feel she is so amazing. How does she know about so many things? I.e. Cooking, baking, rowing, street dancing, driving, bowling, Zen, (a very scientific & objective explanation of the) G-spot.And how does she share her knowledge with everyone so freely without being/seeming like a know-it-all? I felt that every single day she increases everyone else's knowledge, bringing out the best in everyone, without diminishing her own self-worth. I know a few people on the trip have said she is genuine. And I overheard something about her which made me O_O and even more perplexed @_@ How is Lisa so nice to everyone and still stay sane? Nope she is not a Christian. She practices Zen meditation (i think she does it everyday). It may have to do with her trip to Nepal last summer, when she volunteered at an AIDS center. (I think) she said she lost all desire for material goods because she saw so many people suffering but still appreciating what they had. She's going to India this summer. I want to keep in touch with her and learn more from her. (how to increase my extraversion and sociability, for example).
Jenny (aka The Boss). I adore her like a junior looking up to a senior. Because the rest of the post is getting too long, I shall cut off here and continue in the next post!) ^_~
Let me explain some common ASB jargon which may be essential to the stories.
ASB= Alternative Student Break. An NU student group which organizes 1-week-long service-learning trips to various places in USA or outside USA during winter break or spring break. Branch of Alternative Spring Break (please google this yourselves if u'd like to know more =P)
High, Low, Ha's = An icebreaker(?) or a cool method to get people discussing about their thoughts or feelings about their day or week or whatever. During HLHs everyone gets a turn to report the high point, low point and a funny/funniest moment of their day.
Life Stories = Story about your life. Everyone gets a turn to talk about whatever they want to share about their lives. Think your life is boring and too ordinary to share? You are SO SO WRONG. Everyone has a unique life story that has made us what we are today. Sometimes it will turn into a race of who has the most miserable life. But who wants to do that? Nobody will be happy by comparing misfortune [side note: refer to one of the later volumes of Fruits Basket, if you know what i mean].
~~~
I really hope I can continue keeping in touch with some of the ASB ppl.
I won't be shy about playing favorites. Because I don't have the capacity to keep in touch with everybody, so I have to be selective.
Shalini. Hope to talk more with her. She's one of those people who are strikingly honest and outspoken about what they think and what they feel. Reminds me abit of Hui San (=]) It's amazing how she still remains so despite coming from India to America to this competition-driven community at NU. I feel protective of her because she is vulnerable to getting hurt by putting herself out there, by (stupid) people who don't appreciate her honesty. Also vulnerable to be bullied by the likes of Xin Kai =.=||| [you may refer to Gerard] But she is not a dumb girl - she's very smart and she thinks deeply about things. A 100% Hindu and 50% Christian, if you think it's possible. I want to continue connecting with her.
Xin Kai. A Singaporean guy. 23 year old sophomore/junior because of National Service. At first he was acting cool and mysterious, stand-offish, not really joining anything (you know lah what i mean =.=|||) . And being secretive and never answering questions straightforwardly (you know you've seen it before - or (horrors!) u r one of them who enjoy driving ppl crazy by doing that =.=|||) either by giving vague answers or ask a question back or etc. And his facial reactions are so funny because they are unexpected and somewhat prolonged or just funny. When we started working on the painting (me, Jenny, Adrienne, Harrison, and Xin Kai were in a group), the "curi tulang, trying to avoid getting wet, like to sit down every now and then" behavioral pattern emerged (=.=|||) and I declared that this was reminding me of the annoying ways of my brothers orz. I hadn't been 'working' with my bros for quite some time (actually when did i ever work with you guys? dishwashing? church?) so I had almost forgotten this.......... The next level was Smooth Sweet-Talking. This one you also should know lah. You know lah, those rou ma lines and rou ma responses guys from our region like to use.
And for some Strange Inexplicable Reason several girls on the trip started getting attracted to him OMG. He was featured in so many of our reported "ha"s during the week. Actually I myself was interested for the first two days because i was trying to figure out which species he was, and i finally reached a conclusion when he started slacking off =.= Don't think too much lah readers, I think pretty much EVERYONE incld the Guys on the trip was interested in X-Man Sandwich). But beware. This is America. American girls can be scary gyahahahaha! I even felt pity for him when he was getting *xxx*-ed by the girls (i thought i saw some serious xxxxxxxxx aura coming from xxxxxxxx at least 2 times, which took me by surprise, but i guess it was just my imagination lol)
PLEASE NOTE THAT everyone was just playing along in humor and i doubt any of it was serious. To preserve poor XK's reputation lol. And sorry XK i was getting annoyed by why everyone is so interested in him that i tried to kick reality in, saying that this is typical of Singaporeans (and Malaysians) - which is true, actually ^^;;
But I just want to say that he is actually a very unique {very unique is apparently incorrect English} person. His life story was not out of the world, simple, and yet it was so interesting and one-and-only. It's hard to explain this, but even though his story may be a typical life story of a typical Singaporean male, just hearing the story of his life come out from his mouth, made it so real & yet even less approachable, and it just made all the various aspects of his personality and what we knew about him coalesce, come together to form the person whom we see today.
Lisa. I feel she is so amazing. How does she know about so many things? I.e. Cooking, baking, rowing, street dancing, driving, bowling, Zen, (a very scientific & objective explanation of the) G-spot.And how does she share her knowledge with everyone so freely without being/seeming like a know-it-all? I felt that every single day she increases everyone else's knowledge, bringing out the best in everyone, without diminishing her own self-worth. I know a few people on the trip have said she is genuine. And I overheard something about her which made me O_O and even more perplexed @_@ How is Lisa so nice to everyone and still stay sane? Nope she is not a Christian. She practices Zen meditation (i think she does it everyday). It may have to do with her trip to Nepal last summer, when she volunteered at an AIDS center. (I think) she said she lost all desire for material goods because she saw so many people suffering but still appreciating what they had. She's going to India this summer. I want to keep in touch with her and learn more from her. (how to increase my extraversion and sociability, for example).
Jenny (aka The Boss). I adore her like a junior looking up to a senior. Because the rest of the post is getting too long, I shall cut off here and continue in the next post!) ^_~
No comments:
Post a Comment