Saturday, November 14, 2009

The Sky and the Dawn and the Sun

Presenting...Celtic Woman


Celtic Woman is a group of 5 female Irish artistes (4 vocalists and a violinist (a fiddler, to be exact). If you didn't know them...well now you know.

I first heard them (not this song) on an album I bought for my father (Voice 2008 or sth). I was immediately attracted by their clear high vocals, not too classical (that the diction gets blurred), but not too contemporary.

On the looooong MAS flight from KLIA to USA, I flipped through the music in the in-flight entertainment, and found Celtic Woman: A New Journey. "The Sky and the Dawn and the Sun" was the first song in the album, which won me over immediately.

(enraptured) *_*

I love this song...it's soothing and refreshing at the same time. It's beautiful and simple and yet is deep and rich. There are so many layers to the song: multiple layers of vocals, the instrumentals, the thought-provoking lyrics and the imagery it evokes.

And the violin. OMG. I've never seen such a performance bursting with energy, passion, enthusiasm, and pure happiness! So natural and yet ethereal. I really did think of a fairy dancing when I was watching the violinist. The power of Mairead Nesbitt...(and her dress)

Btw, this video is a live performance. The full song can be found at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4Nn2_01oAU
Awesome.

*runs off coz she has a freaking calculus midterm the day after tomorrow and SERIOUSLY NEEDS TO FOCUS lol*

Do check out the song, guys. Esp. when you're about to fall asleep from studying. It helped to sustain me =)


The Sky and the Dawn and the Sun
Songwriters: Downes, David; Graham, Brendan;

High is the moon tonight
Hiding its guiding light, high

Heaven and earth do sleep
Still in the dark so deep
I will the darkness sweep

I will the moon to flight
I will the heavens bright
I will the earth delight

Open your eyes with me
See paradise with me
Awake and arise with me

I am the dawn, I'm the new day begun
I bring you the morning, I bring you the sun
I hold back the night and I open the skies
I give light to the world, I give sight to your eyes

From the first of all time, until time is undone
Forever and ever and ever and ever
And I am the dawn and the sky and the sun
I am one with the One, and I am the dawn

I am the sky and the dawn and the sun
I am the sky and the new day begun
I am the sky and the dawn and the sun

No comments: